Chicken curry - crockpot recipe

Chicken curry a la crock


Chicken curry a la crock pot. I think I made it once, a very very long time ago. Suddenly, I have a hankering for a curry dish again and I am going to try.

I've read a TON of different recipes for chicken curry, and everyone does something different. I've tried a lot, and this is what I've come up with in the end....8 billion different attempts and it has come down to this.

Curry is such a funny thing. It's a blend of spices, so sometimes you like a yellow curry and other times you don't. At least, I don't. I found a blend of curry spice in Vancouver when we lived there in 2009, and I have never, ever found one that matches it. Of course I don't have the label anymore to even figure out where the heck I got it from. Granville Island more than likely. Good luck to me ever finding that again.

If YOU have a curry blend that is your absolute fav, where did you get it???

Just a note: I use a LOT of curry powder because I like it to be strong. If you want a hint of curry flavor only, don't add as much. It depends entirely on the curry spice you have and how you like it!


Chicken curry - Slow cooker


Ingredients:


4-5 chicken thighs, thawed
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
4 tablespoons curry powder, divided (2 & 2)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 tsp olive oil
1 large onion, sliced 
1/2 small can diced tomatoes
1 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup of cold water and 2 heaping tablespoons of corn starch
Green onions for garnish (optional)
3-4 carrots, chopped (optional)

Method:


Rub the salt, pepper and 2 tbsp of curry over the chicken thighs. Set aside.

Warm a frying pan with the olive oil. Brown the chicken thighs, approx 4 mins per side. Set aside.

In the same frying pan, add the onions and fry until fragrant. Place in bottom of slow cooker. (If you are using the chopped carrots, now is the time to toss them into the slow cooker as well).

Place the diced tomatoes and chicken broth in the frying pan. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of curry and the cumin and allow to reach a boil. Taste and season as necessary.

Place chicken in the slow cooker and then pour the broth mixture on top. Cover, and allow to cook on low 4-8 hours, or on high for 3-5, depending on the heat of your slow cooker.

Approximately 20-30 mins before serving, mix the corn starch and cold water and add to the cooker, stirring to disperse. Turn cooker to HIGH and it will thicken within the 20-30 mins.

Serve with hot rice and green onions for garnishing if desired.

Enjoy!



Comments

Popular Posts